Plastic is a material that melts with heat. I know this for a long time however it seems that I forgot about it yesterday while preparing dinner.
I had bought country style marinated potatoes that were packed in plastic container. The cooking directions indicated to warm the potatoes in the container for 10 minutes in the oven. I rigorously followed the instructions and placed the container in the warm oven while I prepared the rest of the food. Mistake 1
I started smelling a burning smell soon after but just assumed that I was just being paranoid so I didn't check the oven. Mistake 2.
The smell didn't go away and finally I did check the oven to find a melted container!
So why didn't my brain alarm me when I was putting the container in the oven. Why didn't I think twice and look again at the directions before putting them in the oven? It looks like my brain decided to have a break after a day at work.
On re-checking the package of the potatoes I noticed that the image was not an oven but rather a microwave!