Kijkduin is just a ten minute bike ride away from home. Just after breakfast we geared up in swim wear and off we went to get our tan - safe tan, with protection cream added every couple of hours. You see, I need to tan up before leaving to my vacation Malta. Otherwise all my Maltese friends and family will think I'm sick. In many past visits I noticed that I can get so white that it doesn't look healthy anymore. And there I was thinking that as a Mediterranean girl I should have a natural tan.
Tips for going to the beach in the Netherlands:
- Bike or use trains to go the beach. The roads will be really busy on tropical weather days, you'll wish you never went to the beach after a long time in the queue
- If you want a sunbed make sure you head to the beach early. Or if you have in-laws make sure they go to the beach early so that they reserve extra sunbeds for you. Thanks W & A!
- Just because it's really warm, don't assume that the sea will be as well. The North Sea is still very cold. I only managed quick dips to cool myself.
- Stay to the beach till late, the sunsets are just beautiful. All the west-coast of the Netherlands is a long strand of beach which directly faces the setting sun.
- Many beach bars have parties on weekend evenings. Going to the bars early in the afternoon will give you free entrance to the parties in the evening.
- Some beach restaurants offer bbq service. You just book for a number of people and you'll get a started bbq and all the food required for the bbq. All you need to do is order your drinks and cook the meat!
[Image Credits: Disney Clipart ]